Project 365 – Day 224: The Royal Victoria Hospital
August 11 2012
With the clouds rolling in and it looking like it would rain any moment this afternoon, we decided to just take a quick walk at the rear of the Royal Victoria Hospital on avenue des Pins.
The Hospital dates back to 1893 when 3 pavilions were designed in Scottish Baronial style by Henry Saxon Snell. The hospital has been extended over the years and now encompasses a total of 9 pavilions situated on the side of Mount Royal and command great views of downtown.
The first 2 images below feature the Women’s and the Ross Pavilion’s both of which were added in the 1920’s.
In 1920, the hospital became a medical research institute through the Faculty of Medicine of McGill University. In 1958, the Royal Vic performed the first successful organ transplant in the Commonwealth.
The Royal Vic is set to move to the new English Mega hospital being built at the Glen Campus and the future of the hospital has yet to be decided. Given the location and size of campus it will certainly be interesting to know what will become of these great buildings.
To view images in gallery format, simply click on one of the images below.
Thanks for stopping by. Until next time.